Wednesday, October 6, 2010

R U OK? Day

Hey, everyone. October 7th is R U OK? Day in Australia (see link) and I think we need to participate in this important holiday here in the states, as well.

All you need to do is ask everyone you know - friends, family, co-workers, homeless people on the street - if they're okay. That's it. Does it get any easier than that? (Well, I heard your mom is easier than that... OH SNAP!)

Here is a video with instructions on how to participate even if it becomes incredibly awkward.

All joking aside, I think this is not only a brilliant idea, but is also something very important that everyone should participate in. In 2007, 34,598 people committed suicide in the U.S. (That's one death every 15 minutes!) How many of those could have been prevented if someone had taken the time to simply ask if they were okay? Remember to ask someone if they're okay October 7th. You might help save a life.

2 Comments:

Kim said...

#1. I understand that awkward feeling. #2. I dig this idea. #3. I'm so excited for your return to the blogging world!!! Wahoo!

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to make a year before you blogged again. Darn missed it a couple days. lol It's a great idea. Can I look in the mirror and ask myself. Does that count?