Thursday, July 24, 2008

Truth in Humor

Kurt Vonnegut (my personal favoritest favorite writer) once said:

"The best jokes are dangerous, and dangerous because they are in some way truthful."

Interviewed by J. Rentilly, "The Best Jokes Are Dangerous", McSweeny's (September 2002)

I believe this to be totally true. Case in point: the following was published in my favorite parody newspaper, The Onion, today.

July 24, 2008

Mariners Improve To Eight Games Over .300

SEATTLE—After winning for the seventh time in their past 17 games, the Seattle Mariners moved to eight games over the .300 mark for the first time since early May."I'm pleased, but it's just a number, and over the next few weeks we'll look to get to nine games over, or even 10," said Jim Riggleman, who has led the M's on a .481 streak since taking over as manager in June. "The guys are really starting to come around. [Yuniesky] Betancourt's got a three-game hitting streak, Jose [Lopez] hit a home run this week, and as long as we avoid getting swept and split a two-game series every once in a while, I think we can take a crack at .400."Riggleman went on to express pride in his team for not losing every single game on the road this season.

These are sad, sad times. Will someone please hold me?

2 Comments:

BriAnne said...

Well, it is good that they didn't lose EVERY game on the road this season. Just stating the facts.:)

By the way, do you think that Dan claims he's a Mariners fan while in Provo, or do you think he denies it? Denying it might be safer at this stage, but he's so loyal.:)

Anonymous said...

Okay Matt and Bri, I, a loyal fan too. Every team has there bad times but I still watch them faithfully and Matt can attest to that. Your right he never watchesw with me.