
I haven’t posted in a while and I know this has probably caused much distress. I’m sorry to have let you all down. Do not fret, I’m still here! (
Emily has probably been crying. She does that. Someone hug her, please… No, you do it! I did it last time… Yes, I did. You don’t even remember... Okay, well, that may be true... Yeah, I guess you raise a valid point… Look, I said I get it but you’re not hearing me: I don’t care who does it, it’s just not going to be me... No, YOU take some responsibility… Yeah, well, I guess that's your opinion... Okay, fine! You know what? I’ll do it… Sheesh, I have to do everything around here… Yeah, I said it… Oh yeah, well, same to YOU… Yeah, yeah, see you at Thanksgiving.)

Moving on, I have a little story for you that happened a couple of weeks ago. For those that weren’t aware, I’ve been working for the last year and a half at the Renton Technical College bookstore. Just recently, I was awarded “Employee of the Quarter.” Yay, me! Right? It’s made me a little less depressed about working here, so, I guess that’s something. I got a little plaque that says I’m hot stuff and, best part of all, a reserved parking place near the front of the building so I don’t have hike
500 miles from the employee parking lot. Good times… or so you would think.
The lot in front of the building I work in is pretty small and sits right in the middle of campus.

There are a handful of parking lots all over campus and they’re all much larger, they just require a walk of the equivalent of two blocks, at most. (I think that’s a worst-case scenario, too. It’s probably closer to one block.) As with all parking lots in America, people tend to drive around for 20 minutes for the closest possible spot. All in the name of cutting 30 seconds off of the time they spend walking. This is especially true in this little lot where my reserved parking space is as the cafeteria and bakery are in this building and spaces fill up fast during lunch hour.

(SIDE NOTE: I love that it remains a mystery as to why the percentage of
Americans that are overweight grows every year. You’re going to a bakery to buy sweet, fatty foods + you want to walk as little as possible to get to those foods + you also complain about the flight of stairs inside the building where the bakery is located and then take the elevator = You ask, “Why am I so fat?”
It’s a mystery!)
My space resides in this little lot. There is even a sign stating that

my space is “
RESERVED FOR THE EMPLOYEE OF THE QUARTER.” It’s on a post that was stuck into a bucket and filled with concrete so it doesn’t go anywhere. This all makes it a little hard to miss as it’s sitting right in the middle of the parking space. You pull into the spot and there’s a sign right in your face. Lately, people have been taking my spot when I leave for lunch even though there’s this totally conspicuous sign there. I’ve been absolutely flabbergasted (Yes, I said, “flabbergasted.”) that someone could just be that audacious. I don’t know if they just can’t read, or if they think, “Hey, I PAY to go to school here so, screw it,” or if they really just don’t care that they’re taking something that belongs to someone else. (In my experience, laziness does tend to override any sense of propriety.) Regardless of their justifications, this is just not cool.

A couple of weeks ago, the parking space stealers
cranked it up a notch. I went home during my lunch break, as usual, and when I came back, guess what I

saw? No, seriously. I want you to guess. No, it wasn’t a
liger. That would be cool, though, as we all know they’re bred for their skills in magic. Okay, I’ll tell you. Someone had not only stolen my reserved parking space, which was totally rude, but they had actually moved the sign down two spaces so it stood in front of someone else’s car! They totally tried to frame someone else for their jerk-like actions. I’m still so stunned by this that I’m actually chuckling to myself as I tell the story for the tenth time. How can someone pull that kind of crap and still look at themselves in the mirror?
Un-freakin’-believable.


Today, I have a
bright orange parking cone that blocks off my parking space. For some reason, people take a random orange cone much more seriously than a sign that says a space is reserved for someone that is not them. Now, any time I arrive at work, I have to stop, get out of my car, move the cone, and pull into my spot. When I leave, it’s the same deal. Rain, snow, whatever, I’m out of my car, moving around a little orange cone before I can park. I just did the math and it’s actually causing me to expend 3.7 times the effort as when I just parked in the employee lot. So, this is what it means to have a
major award.

*sigh*
Congratulations to me.
4 Comments:
It's weird how people won't park in your spot if there's a cone there but they will when there is a sign saying it's reserved. I guess they really can't read & respond only to bright colors =)
Joey & I totally have a Leg Lamp ornament for our Christmas Tree. It's cheap, from Wal*Mart, but it's still high quality =)
On the back of a magazine, there was a picture of an overweight woman named Ruby & the caption was like, she didn't know how she got to be 487 pounds or something like that. How do you get up to 487 pounds & not know how it happened?! People.
Hahaha. So awesome. I was just awarded Employee of the Week at my pretend job at DMI (Dunder Mifflin Infinity :) ) So I know how it feels to be appreciated! All I got was a virtual certificate in a virtual frame to hang on my virtual wall abov my virtual desk. My commute however, has not changed. I still have to go into my office and log on and sit in my own house for as long as I feel like beig lazy.
Anyway, my suggestion for the sign is to move it as close to their driver side door as possible without it actually touching. (Ok, if it touches and makes a tiny scratch, oops.) That way the punks have to move it to get back in their car, and the sign will be "all up in their grill." Also, I'm sure we could come up with some interesting ideas for moving the cone without having to get in and out of your car. Maybe involving some twine and pulleys, or maybe just high speed antics with good brakes. I dunno. I'll get back to you on that.
Now that my comment is long enough to be a post itself, I shall sign off. (Yes, you may post this on your blog to share with all. Just be prepared for all the comments about how awesome I am, and how you should date me. Then you'll have to explain that I'm married with a kid... Maybe it's just easier to not post this and skip all that.) Oh yeah, and thanks for all your awesome comments on my blog.
AWESOME! I was going to suggest just parking behind them so they couldn't get out and put a sign on their window telling them you'll be back at 5. ha ha
Okay, I know you already told me this story and I laughed then, but I laughed out loud again. (Hey, it's better than crying like Emily!) Anyway, if it's any consolation, Kyle is completely opposite when it comes to parking. I've decided that he looks for the furthest space away from any entrance and then parks in it. It can't possibly be to protect our vehicle. The inch thick dust on it would prevent any dings from unattended shopping cars or even deliberate attempts to key our vehicle. I also think that now that I'm pregnant he parks even further away. (Like if we have to go to Walmart, he parks at the gas station across the street.....okay, maybe it's not that bad, but it feels like it as I waddle to the door.....and then directly to the restroom in hopes that the trek won't make me pee my pants). I'm just saying is all.....maybe the cone's not such a bad thing. I could use one.
Post a Comment