Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Will someone please tell me why?

As some of you may have heard, HBO has a series called Big Love that centers around polygamists. From what I’ve read, the show’s creators spoke with leaders of the Church before the show even aired and assured them that the show was not about Mormons. The characters were supposedly from some cultish offshoot of the Church. As the show has progressed, this assurance has turned out to be false. The show’s writers have incorporated Mormons and Mormonism into many of the story lines, perpetuating the idea that Mormons and polygamists are one and the same. Fortunately, anyone willing to put in about 60 seconds worth of research would know that polygamy was abolished over a century ago and anyone practicing it is excommunicated. At worst, the situation was simply irritating and was something to be ignored. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

In an episode airing this Sunday, March 15, viewers will get to see what I’ve heard is a pretty accurate portrayal of sacred Temple ceremonies. Of course there have been many strong objections to this, but the show’s writers have given some hollow excuses as to why this is necessary and are forging ahead. They also insist it’s not for the sake of sensationalism. Are you kidding me? These are not stupid people and it’s insulting for them to assume that we are. The saying, “Negative attention is still attention,” is probably more applicable to show business than anywhere else and what we have here is a prime example of this in action.

It's offensive, inappropriate, and completely out of line. First of all, I'm mystified that people still associate polygamy with Mormonism even though the church hasn't practiced it in over a century and Mormons are forbidden to do so even in countries where it's legal! It seems to me like it's just a situation where someone simply hates something and wants to attack. They really have nothing to go on otherwise (What are you going to do, make fun of the Church's humanitarian work?), and so they take a crack at the only thing they can think of… even if that thing happened over a hundred years ago. It screams desperation and is pathetic at best.

In my internet search, I was pleased to see that there were a few former Latter-Day Saints that, regardless of their feelings towards the Church, thought that HBO was way out of line on this one. One of the best quotes I heard was referring to this situation in the context of persecuting ANY religion. The person said, "If you're going to eat someone's sacred cow, it had better be because you're starving." As far as I can tell, HBO seems to be getting by alright with their other programming. (Programming that doesn't slander the faith of thirteen and a half million people.) So, I don't understand the motivation behind this other than sensationalism… Well, that and maybe sticking it to the Mormons.

I understand people being curious about what goes on in the temple because it’s human nature. That’s just how it goes. (Since I’ve never been, even I’m curious myself.) However, I also understand that some things are meant to be kept in private. Not because they’re some kind of big secret that only exclusive people can be a part of, but because they are considered sacred and should be treated with reverence. If the people at HBO were interested in making a documentary about temple ceremonies, not as some sort of exposé and/or parody but as a way to promote an understanding of Latter-Day Saint beliefs, I think I’d still be uncomfortable with the portrayal but would be much more understanding. Instead, they are taking the thing Latter-Day Saints consider to be the most sacred on Earth and displaying it on a program that has done nothing but persecute them.

My initial reaction to all of this has been shock. Over the last 24 hours the shock has slowly faded. I was really hoping to feel anger and get all worked up over this… but now, all I feel is sadness. To know that someone who has never met me hates my religion so much that they’re willing to spend all the time, effort, and money into putting together a program like this is really depressing. Like it says in the official response from the Church (see link below), I guess this is the cost of being so visible…

(The words have pretty much flowed for me up to this point but now I’ve just been staring at the screen…)

The thought that has kept popping into my head is, “Maybe you should be praying for them.” Wouldn’t the Savior ask us to simply turn the other cheek? There are definitely times to stand up and fight but maybe being angry at those that are angry at us is a little self-defeating… Anyway, you should definitely read the Church’s response. They say it much better than I would.

Here is the link to an article written by a UW student (and former member of the church) about the TV show: (She includes a link to the original TV Guide article.) http://students.washington.edu/secular/2009/03/08/hbo-set-to-air-mormon-temple-ceremony/

Here is the link to the Church’s response: (It made me feel a lot better.) http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma

3 Comments:

Walker Family said...

I was initially "IRKED" (insane with anger) at the news of the episode, but the church's response was dead on, just like you said. I read somewhere, maybe it was the church's response, something along these lines..."We have only fooled ourselves if we thought that persecutions were reserved for the pioneers of our faith, they will increase, perhaps in a different form, but the day will come when the persecutions from outside sources will force every member of the church to choose where they stand." Isn't incredible how the exercising of faith deflates anger. We know what we know. Thanks for sharing, your feelings were mine exactly.

Wendy said...

Amen! Thanks for posting the link to the official statement of the church...I hadn't read it yet. I think you're great Matt! Love ya!

BriAnne said...

Well said! The whole thing is crazy. I can't even believe they have the nerve frankly. It says a lot about their station.....none of it good. And as always, the church handles it with class. You know, it's funny, I've NEVER been embarassed to be a member of the church.....not ever. But, I've definitely had the occasion to be embarassed for other people and this situation definitely qualifies. I did send HBO an email. It was polite, but basically said that airing the show was in very poor taste (not that they'll care). Anyway, it just keeps coming doesn't it? After the Prop 8 thing, the Tom Hanks thing, and then this, it makes me almost more proud to be LDS. Weird maybe, but true.:)

Oh, and side note: Can anyone picture Dan insane with anger? Yeah, me neither.:) (Love you, Dan)